Photo by Nataliya Vaitkevich
Wearing contact lenses can sometimes be a challenge, especially when you feel discomfort or dryness in your eyes. That’s where eye drops come in. They are a simple, effective solution that can help enhance your lens-wearing experience. This article will discuss the benefits of using eye drops with contacts and provide essential tips for optimal eye health.
The Power of Hydration
One of the primary purposes of eye drops is to moisturize. Just like your body, your eyes also need hydration to function properly. Contact lenses can absorb the moisture from your eyes, causing them to feel dry and uncomfortable. Regular use of eye drops can help maintain a healthy level of moisture, ensuring your eyes feel fresh and your vision remains clear throughout the day. You may be wondering, “can I use eye drops for my contacts?” The answer is a resounding yes. However, it’s crucial to ensure you’re using drops that are specifically designed to be used with contacts.
- Comfort: Eye drops can help relieve any discomfort or irritation caused by wearing contacts, making your overall experience more pleasant.
- Clear vision: By keeping your eyes well-hydrated, eye drops can prevent blurry vision and ensure you see clearly.
- Health: Regular use of eye drops can reduce the risk of eye infections, as they help remove any debris that might accumulate on your lenses.
Choosing the Right Eye Drops
Photo by Nataliya Vaitkevich
Not all eye drops are suitable for contact lenses. Some may contain preservatives that can harm your lenses or cause eye irritation. When selecting eye drops for contacts, it’s essential to choose a product designed for use with lenses. Also, always follow the product’s instructions and consult with your eye care professional if you have any doubts. The question “can I put contact solution in my eyes?” often arises. While some solutions can be used as eye drops, they should not be used as a regular substitute for eye drops.
Eye Care Tips for Contact Lens Wearers
Photo by Pavel Danilyuk
While eye drops can significantly improve your lens-wearing experience, it’s also important to follow a proper eye care routine and take regular breaks from your lenses. Here are a few tips:
- Always wash and dry your hands before handling your contact lenses.
- Never sleep with your contacts in, unless they are specifically designed for overnight wear.
- Remember to replace your contact lens case every three months to reduce the risk of infection.
- Consider investing in high-quality eyewear, like Zenni Optical’s extensive range of glasses, to give your eyes a break from contact lenses.
Eye drops can be a great addition to your eye care routine. They not only provide immediate relief from dry and irritated eyes, but also help ensure your lenses perform at their best. Remember, your eyes are precious; taking good care of them will help preserve your vision and overall eye health.
About the Author: Dr. Steven Liem, OD, FAAO
Dr. Steven Liem, O.D., F.A.A.O. is an optometrist based in Pasadena, California. After obtaining his doctorate from UC Berkeley’s School of Optometry, he completed his residency in Pediatrics, Vision Therapy & Rehabilitation and became a Fellow of the American Academy of Optometry. When he isn’t busy streaming or making Youtube videos about video games, Dr. Liem aims to broaden accessibility to vision health through his involvement in optometric industry and tech.