Over the past few years, retro eyewear trends have made a significant comeback. Whether it’s large, oversized frames reminiscent of the 70s, or chic cat-eye glasses that hark back to the 50s, vintage-inspired looks are dominating contemporary eyewear fashion. This post will provide you with a comprehensive guide on adopting these timeless styles, selecting the most flattering retro frames, and making a bold fashion statement.
From Hollywood celebrities to fashion runaways, vintage glasses are everywhere. The aesthetic appeal of these glasses comes from their unique shapes, bold colors, and unmistakable charm that can transform any outfit.
- Round Glasses: Popularized in the 60s and 70s by influential figures like John Lennon, this style suits individuals with square or diamond-shaped faces. The round frames soften sharp facial features and bring balance to the face. Check out Zenni Optical’s collection of round glasses for inspiration.
- Cat-Eye Glasses: A staple of 50s and 60s fashion, cat-eye glasses are symbolized by their upswept angles and feminine allure. They’re perfect for heart-shaped faces, accentuating the cheekbones and adding a touch of glamor. Browse our cat-eye glasses for a taste of vintage elegance.
- Aviator Glasses: Originally designed for pilots in the 30s, aviators have become a classic eyewear trend. Known for their large, teardrop-shaped lenses, they suit oval and square faces well, offering a cool and casual look. Explore our aviator sunglasses to channel your inner Maverick.
Tips for Choosing Retro Frames
While it’s exciting to experiment with retro eyewear trends, it’s important to choose frames that flatter your face shape and complement your skin tone. Here are a few tips:
- Face Shape Compatibility: As a general rule, the shape of your frames should contrast with the shape of your face. So, if you have a round face, square or rectangular frames could be a great choice, and vice versa. Refer to our guide on glasses by face shape for more detailed advice.
- Color Selection: When it comes to color, consider your skin tone. Warm skin tones are complemented by frames in shades of brown, gold, or honey, while cool skin tones pair well with black, silver, or blue frames. Browse our glasses by color range for a variety of options.
- Comfort and Fit: Regardless of style, your glasses should sit comfortably on your face without pinching or slipping. Your eyes should be centered within the frame, and the width of the frame should match the width of your face. For ultra-comfortable options, check out our comfortable glasses.
Maintenance of Retro Eyewear
Once you’ve chosen your perfect pair of retro glasses, it’s important to keep them in pristine condition. Regular cleaning, proper storage, and careful handling can make your eyewear last longer. Zenni Optical offers a range of eyewear accessories to help maintain your glasses, from cleaning solutions to protective cases. An occasional visit to an eye care professional for minor adjustments can also help in ensuring a perfect fit.
About the Author: Dr. Sophia Moh, OD, ABOC
Dr. Sophia Moh, OD, is an optometrist based in the Bay Area, California. She holds a doctorate from UC Berkeley School of Optometry and has worked in various eye care settings, including primary care optometry, general ophthalmology, community health clinics, and Veterans Affairs. Dr. Moh is dedicated to improving global vision health by making high-quality, affordable eyewear accessible to all. She is also a certified American Board Optician (ABO) and actively contributes to optical education through training and lectures.