Keeping your eyeglasses clean and in perfect condition not only enhances your vision but also extends the lifespan of your glasses. Regardless of the type of glasses you wear, whether they’re Blue Light Blocking Glasses for gaming or Progressives Glasses for reading, here are some essential cleaning and care tips to help you maintain their quality over time.
Tips for Cleaning Your Eyeglasses
Regular cleaning helps to rid your lenses of dust, smudges, and fingerprints, ensuring clear vision. Here are some best practices for cleaning your eyeglasses:
- Rinse before wiping: Always rinse your glasses with water before wiping them. This helps to remove dust particles that can scratch the lenses when rubbed.
- Use eyeglass cleaning solutions: Avoid using household cleaners, as they may contain chemicals that can damage lens coatings. Instead, opt for cleaning solutions specifically designed for eyeglasses.
- Dry with a clean microfiber cloth: After rinsing, gently dry your lenses with a clean, lint-free cloth. Avoid using paper towels or napkins, as they can scratch your lenses.
Caring for Your Frames
While much focus is often placed on the lenses, the frames also require proper care to maintain their shape and appearance. Below are some maintenance tips for different frame materials:
- Metal frames: Regularly check the screws and tighten them if necessary. Also, avoid exposing your glasses to salty air or water, as it can corrode the metal.
- Plastic frames: Clean with a soft, damp cloth and mild soap. Avoid using alcohol-based cleaners, as they can damage the plastic.
- Wooden frames: Keep these away from water and harsh weather conditions to prevent warping and discoloration.
Regardless of the frame material, remember to handle your glasses by the bridge, not the arms, to avoid misalignment.
Proper Storage and Handling
How you handle and store your eyeglasses when not in use plays a significant role in their longevity. Here is how to properly store and handle your glasses:
- Use a protective case: Always store your glasses in a sturdy, protective case when not in use. This protects them from scratches, dust, and accidental damage.
- Keep away from heat: Exposure to high heat can distort the shape of your glasses. So, avoid leaving your glasses in a hot car or near a heat source.
By following these cleaning and care tips, you can keep your eyeglasses in excellent condition, ensuring they serve you well for longer. Remember, your glasses are an investment in your vision, so they deserve the best care possible. For more advice on eye care and eyewear, visit Zenni Optical’s blog.
About the Author: Dr. Steven Liem, OD, FAAO
Dr. Steven Liem, O.D., F.A.A.O. is an optometrist based in Pasadena, California. After obtaining his doctorate from UC Berkeley’s School of Optometry, he completed his residency in Pediatrics, Vision Therapy & Rehabilitation and became a Fellow of the American Academy of Optometry. When he isn’t busy streaming or making Youtube videos about video games, Dr. Liem aims to broaden accessibility to vision health through his involvement in optometric industry and tech.