Aviator sunglasses, a timeless accessory that transcends fashion trends, offer superior eye protection while radiating an aura of coolness and style. Their design, initially intended for pilots, is marked by a dark, often reflective, oversized lens, thin metal frame, and distinctive teardrop shape. This classic design not only provides excellent coverage against harmful UV rays but also flatters various face shapes, making them a popular choice across genders and age groups.
History and Evolution of Aviator Sunglasses
Aviator sunglasses, as the name suggests, were initially designed for pilots in 1936. The aim was to protect the pilots’ eyes while flying, hence the oversized design covering the entire range of the human eye. Over the years, aviators have undergone many transformations to keep up with changing trends yet maintain their signature design.
- 1930s-40s: The birth of the aviator sunglasses, designed by Bausch & Lomb and branded as Ray-Ban Aviators.
- 1950s-60s: Aviator sunglasses gained popularity among celebrities and the public, becoming a fashion symbol.
- 1970s-80s: The design evolved with different colored lenses and frame materials, adding a touch of personal style while maintaining the classic features.
- 1990s-Present: The aviator style remains a staple in eyewear fashion with continued variations in design and material. Today, you can find aviator sunglasses for men and women’s aviator sunglasses in various colors, materials, and lens options including polarized and photochromic lenses.
Choosing the Right Aviator Sunglasses
When it comes to selecting the perfect pair of aviator sunglasses, there are several factors to consider, including face shape, skin tone, purpose, and personal style. Here are a few tips to help you make the right choice:
- Face Shape: Aviators are versatile and suit most face shapes. However, to get the best fit, consider your face shape. For instance, people with angular faces may prefer the traditional teardrop shape, while those with round faces may opt for square or rectangular sunglasses.
- Skin Tone: Your skin tone can also guide the frame color. Gold frames usually complement warm skin tones while silver and black frames suit cool tones.
- Purpose: Determine the primary use of your aviators. If you’re looking for sunglasses to protect your eyes during outdoor activities, consider polarized sunglasses. If you spend a lot of time in front of screens, consider the blue light glasses.
- Personal Style: Lastly, your sunglasses should reflect your personal style. You can choose between different frame materials, colors, and lens options to match your unique style.
Caring for Your Aviator Sunglasses
Once you’ve chosen your perfect pair of aviators, it’s important to care for them properly. Here are some tips:
- Cleaning: Regularly clean your sunglasses with a microfiber cloth and specialized lens cleaning solution to keep them in good condition.
- Storage: Always store your sunglasses in a hard case when not in use to protect them from scratches and damages.
- Handling: Handle your aviators with care. Always use both hands when putting them on or removing them to maintain their shape and alignment.
In conclusion, aviator sunglasses are a timeless accessory that combines style and functionality. Whether you’re looking for a pair of men’s aviator sunglasses or women’s aviator sunglasses, you can find a wide selection at Zenni Optical, where quality meets affordability.