As an eyewear user, finding the perfect pair of glasses goes beyond just aesthetics. It’s also about comfort, durability, and how well the glasses aid your vision. One key aspect to consider in this regard is the type of lenses you opt for. High index lenses provide numerous advantages for glasses wearers, especially if you have a high prescription. Let’s take a closer look at the numerous benefits these lenses offer.
What are High Index Lenses?
High index lenses are a modern marvel in eyewear technology, specifically crafted for those with higher prescription power. These lenses are crafted from a unique MR material sourced from Mitsui Chemicals, boasting a higher refractive index. This means they can bend light more efficiently than standard plastic or glass lenses, allowing for much thinner and lighter lenses, even with high prescriptions.
Benefits of High Index Lenses
High index lenses offer several significant benefits that enhance the overall eyewear experience. Here are the key advantages:
- Lightweight: High index lenses are significantly lighter than traditional glass or plastic lenses. This reduces the weight on your nose and ears, offering a more comfortable fit.
- Thinner: Due to their higher refractive index, these lenses can correct vision using less material, resulting in thinner lenses. This is especially advantageous for those with high prescriptions, as it prevents the “coke-bottle” effect often seen with thick lenses.
- Aesthetically Pleasing: The thinness of high index lenses also contributes to a more aesthetically pleasing look, as the lenses don’t bulge out of the frames. They allow for a wider range of frame options, including rimless and semi-rimless styles.
- Less Distortions: High index lenses provide sharper vision than traditional lenses, particularly in peripheral vision. This can greatly enhance visual comfort for the wearer.
- Durable: Despite their thinness, high index lenses are quite robust and resistant to impact. They’re a great choice for active individuals.
Getting Your High Index Lenses
Now that you’re aware of the many benefits of high index lenses, you might be wondering where you can get these for your next pair of glasses.
Step 1: Pick a frame
Step 2: Customize your lenses
Step 3: Enter your prescription
Step 4: Select your Lens such as Blokz blue light lenses, photochromic lenses, or sunglasses tints
Step 5: Select a high index lens. Here’s a quick guide for which high index lens to choose:
- Hi-index 1.61: Prescription power between +/- 3.00
- Hi-index 1.67: Prescription power between +/- 3.00 ~ +/- 5.00
- Hi-index 1.74: Prescription power greater than +/- 5.00
In summary, the quest for ideal eyewear goes beyond aesthetics, focusing on comfort, durability, and vision enhancement. High index lenses, crafted from advanced materials with a higher refractive index, offer a lightweight, thin, and aesthetically pleasing solution for those with higher prescriptions. They provide sharper vision and durability, making them an excellent choice. When considering high index lenses, follow the recommended steps to customize your eyewear for a superior visual experience
About the Author: Dr. Sophia Moh, OD, ABOC
Dr. Sophia Moh, OD, is an optometrist based in the Bay Area, California. She holds a doctorate from UC Berkeley School of Optometry and has worked in various eye care settings, including primary care optometry, general ophthalmology, community health clinics, and Veterans Affairs. Dr. Moh is dedicated to improving global vision health by making high-quality, affordable eyewear accessible to all. She is also a certified American Board Optician (ABO) and actively contributes to optical education through training and lectures.