Many people with smaller faces often struggle when it comes to finding sunglasses that fit perfectly. Most sunglasses can be too wide or too large, leaving them sliding down your nose or not providing enough coverage. However, the right pair for you is out there; you just need to know what to look for. This guide will walk you through everything you need to know about finding and purchasing the perfect pair of sunglasses for small faces.
Understanding Face Shapes
The first step in choosing the right pair of sunglasses is understanding your face shape. Generally, faces are categorized into four types: round, oval, heart, and square. Each shape has specific characteristics that can guide you towards the most flattering sunglasses style.
- Round faces are approximately equal in width and height, with a circular shape and no sharp angles. For round faces, opt for rectangular or square frames because they can help create an illusion of angles and make the face appear longer.
- Oval faces are longer than they are wide, with balanced features. They can pull off almost any sunglasses style, but oversized or wrap styles can help maintain this balance.
- Heart faces are wider at the forehead and gradually narrow down to the chin. Wayfarer or cat-eye styles usually look great on this face shape because they balance out the width at the top of the face.
- Square faces have a strong jawline and broad forehead, with the width and length in equal proportions. Round or oval sunglasses can help soften the sharp angles of a square face.
Choosing The Right Frame Size
Frame size is crucial when choosing sunglasses for a small face. Sunglasses frames come in sizes ranging from small to large, with small typically fitting the best for people with smaller faces. Here’s a quick guide to help you understand frame sizes:
- Small: Lens width of about 50mm or less
- Medium: Lens width of 51mm to 54mm
- Large: Lens width of over 55mm
For those with small faces, it’s best to stick with a small lens width to ensure the sunglasses don’t look oversized for your face.
Popular Styles for Small Faces
There are various styles of sunglasses that can flatter small faces. Here are a few popular options:
- Wayfarers are a timeless style that can look great on small faces, particularly if you choose a smaller frame size.
- Oval and Round Sunglasses can soften angular features and are often available in smaller frame sizes. They can provide a vintage, chic look.
- Cat-Eye Sunglasses can add some drama to your look, and because the frames are angled upwards, they can make a small face appear longer.
When shopping for sunglasses for small faces, remember that the right pair will not only provide adequate protection from the sun but also enhance your facial features and personal style. Take your time to try different styles and sizes until you find your perfect match. And don’t forget, the most important thing is how you feel wearing them. So choose a pair that makes you feel comfortable and confident.
If you’re ready to start your search, check out Zenni Optical’s collection of sunglasses for small faces that come in various styles and colors.
About the Author: Frankie Marina
With over 15 years of experience in the optical industry, Frankie Marina is a seasoned optician who has held various roles, from General Manager overseeing optical labs and collaborating with eye doctors to her meticulous position as Final Inspector ensuring the precision of each ordered pair of glasses. Throughout her career, she has refined her expertise. Frankie’s skills include troubleshooting vision errors and curating frames for high-profile VIP clients, effortlessly blending functionality with style. Today, as a dedicated optician with Zenni Optical, Frankie is committed to helping people see better and live better by sharing her wealth of knowledge and discover eyewear solutions that not only promote clear vision, but also instill confidence.