Whether you’re someone who requires prescription glasses or simply enjoys the fashionable edge they provide, finding the right pair can be a fun way to express your personal style. The right pair of glasses can enhance your look, add a touch of sophistication, or give you a fun, quirky edge. However, the vast array of styles, shapes, and colors available can make the process daunting. This guide will help you identify the most popular trend cues and key factors to consider when choosing cool glasses that align with your style.
Choose the Right Frame for Your Face Shape
The first step in selecting the perfect pair of glasses is understanding your face shape. This will guide you in choosing a frame that compliments your facial features beautifully. Here’s a simple guide to help you match your face shape with appropriate frame styles:
- Round Faces: Rectangular or square frames can provide a nice contrast to the soft curves of a round face.
- Oval Faces: Lucky you! Most frame shapes work seamlessly with an oval face. Feel free to experiment!
- Square Faces: Round or oval frames can soften and balance the sharp angles of a square face.
- Heart-Shaped Faces: Frames that are wider at the bottom, such as aviator styles or round frames, can help balance a heart-shaped face.
Select a Frame Color That Complements Your Skin Tone
The color of your frames can significantly impact your overall look. Here are some tips to help you choose a color that suits your skin tone:
- Cool Skin Tones: If you have blue or pink undertones, frames in black, silver, rose-brown, blue-gray, plum, magenta, pink, jade, blue, and demi-amber (darker, fiery colors) will complement your complexion.
- Warm Skin Tones: If your skin has a yellow, peach, or golden undertone, opt for frames in gold, copper, peach, orange, coral, off-white, fire-engine red, warm blue, or blond tortoise.
Consider Your Lifestyle and Personal Style
Your lifestyle and personal style are critical factors in your choice of eyewear. If you’re active and always on the go, you might prefer durable, wrap-around frames. If you’re into the latest fashion trends, consider frames in bold colors or unique shapes. For a timeless, classic look, you might favor traditional shapes in black, brown, or silver.
Remember, while it’s essential to consider these factors, the most important thing is that your glasses make you feel confident and comfortable. Don’t be afraid to step out of your comfort zone and try something new! After all, glasses are not just a necessity but a fashion statement that can enhance your personal style.
About the Author: Dr. Sophia Moh, OD, ABOC
Dr. Sophia Moh, OD, is an optometrist based in the Bay Area, California. She holds a doctorate from UC Berkeley School of Optometry and has worked in various eye care settings, including primary care optometry, general ophthalmology, community health clinics, and Veterans Affairs. Dr. Moh is dedicated to improving global vision health by making high-quality, affordable eyewear accessible to all. She is also a certified American Board Optician (ABO) and actively contributes to optical education through training and lectures.